HappyTrees Studio

Sep 4, 2013

The Importance of Shavasana


As a yoga teacher I usually don't follow up my practice with Shavasana (Corpse Pose).  I always tell myself things like "I don't have time, I need to go check on..., I don't really need it, I'll chill later, etc" What I've found, however, is that I do need it. And it's kinda like I'm leaving my practice unfinished. For the past week, whenever I practice I've made myself  lie down and experience the asana. And I feel BETTER. Even more relaxed and energized at the same time. I sometimes notice in class when I get to this pose at the end, some folks are uncomfortable. I understand it's unnerving to close your eyes and let your guard down in a room full of strangers. Some people are reluctant to relax completely, afraid they may fall asleep, or snore, or even worse, be totally relaxed and fart. So they defeat the purpose by fidgeting, keeping their eyes wide open, barraging their brain with tasks and lists.

 Some things that I have learned since starting my practice years ago are:
I think you may actually be safest in the confines of a group of yogi's.It's a den of trust.
People are so worried about themselves they don't notice you and your noises.
Everybody snores and farts- EVERYBODY.
You need to take some time for yourself and relax. The reason you're so uptight? You don't relax enough!

Shavasana is helpful to you completely. Mind Body and Spirit. Some of the benefits of Shavasana are:

a decrease in heart rate and the rate of respiration, blood pressure, muscle tension

a reduction in general anxiety,a reduction in the number and frequency of anxiety attacks
an increase in energy levels and in general productivity
an improvement in concentration and in memory
an increase in focus,a decrease in fatigue, coupled with deeper and sounder sleep
and improved self-confidence

Why would you not want to feel better, look better, have more energy, sleep better, and walk around with your self confidence intact?!?


 So I'm challenging all you yogi's who skip Shavasana. Try it for the next 10 practices- at least 7 minutes of corpse pose. And then, see how you feel. It's remarkable!

No comments: