HappyTrees Studio

Sep 5, 2013

Sticks and Stones- Giving Yourself Permission

cannot  (ˈkænɒt, kæˈnɒt) 

— vb
 an auxiliary verb expressing incapacity, inability, withholding permission, etc; can not

The hardest lesson I had to learn was one that was defeating me before I even started. The word CAN'T.
As in-
"I can't do that pose!"
"I can't write"
"I can't paint like that"
"I can't fix that"

I was defeating myself before I even started! And for what?!? Well mainly, fear. Fear of failure is what generally holds me back, but what I didn't understand was that I was failing myself before I even started by making my mind so pessimistic and final. CAN'T. 

 Part of the definition resounds loudly with me. Permission. And can't is 'withholding permission'. So right there you are telling you conscious and subconscious brain, "you don't have permission to do that, therefore your body and mind will not cooperate and you will not succeed." The end.

So I failed, a lot. And then, I quit trying. Sound familiar?

And then one day, I was watching a kid do a cartwheel, and walk on his hands- just fooling around, playing outside. And when he came near me I said "wow, you're really strong, how did you learn to do that?" And he replied like this-"I don't know, I've never done it before, but I wanted to see if I could." It was that simple.

What?!?

I had so many questions, but I'm sure I was already creeping his mom out.

 I went home and really started to think about it. I'm a big supporter of mind over matter. But at the time, I really didn't consider the fact that my brain and spirit are ALWAYS listening, hearing and responding to what I say negative or positive, and almost immediately. I just assumed, if I told myself something positive, my energy would know it was for me, and If I made a negative statement-"I feel so fat today; I don't feel so good; I'm tired" my energy would know that I was being whiny and let it pass. But that's not how it works.

 When you make a statement, it's out there, resonating and creating waves even if you don't believe so. There's such strength and energy in words- and they manifest when said with conviction, quickly.

 So instead of saying "Gee, I don't know, I'm too ___________ to do that, I don't think I can, I can't do that."
 Say-
"That looks challenging, maybe I can do ________"
"I think I can do ____________"

The worse thing that could happen? You could accomplish something you've never tried before. You could start a practice of something difficult  and get better over time. You could even impress the hell outta yourself.

The easiest way to accomplish anything is to be positive, give yourself permission, try hard, and keep trying, and for goodness sake- quit saying can't.



No comments: