HappyTrees Studio

Apr 11, 2013

Tricky Spinach


I'm really tying to get away completely from processed foods, and I've been cooking everyday now. But i still don't feel as if the kids are getting enough vegetables in their diet. So I sneak...everything! The answer, smoothies. The kids feel like it's a treat, frozen yummies filled with sweetness. They sometimes complain about the color-but the flavor, they like!

I looked at different recipes, but I've finally decided that I like winging it and making up my own recipes.

Some combo's I like are-
spinach(handful)
carrot juice
banana
apple juice
ice
sometimes I add ground flaxseed, chia seeds, or concentrated B complex for a little boost.

spinach
banana
mango
strawberry(theres a bag in the frozen section at the grocer, so less expensive)

spinach
blueberry
grapes
watermelon

The combo's are endless. I always add veggies and 'hide' their flavor with banana or apples. The liquid is fruit or veggie juice(I like Bolthouse farm). I don't  use any added sugars, the fruit is sweet enough. When I buy the fruits, usually I get them from the frozen food section. They're less expensive, and no added preservatives. but apples, bananas, cuties, kiwi stuff that's in season or on sale I get fresh. I make a big batch and store them in mason jars in the fridge. You can add ice later and make it all deserty and it goes further. So yum and HEALTHY! 

No comments: