HappyTrees Studio

Jul 16, 2012

Sitting

 Meditation has become a huge saving grace to my life. Just the act of being still and breathing and BEING is helping me in ways I never believed! I don't generally prepare to sit with a lot of fanfare...I just lay out my blanket to protect my feet, get comfortable on my bolster and sit. I always begin with closing my eyes and letting my body settle into itself, then I begin breathing. I usually count my inhales and exhales for a count of 6 to 8 and when I've finally slowed my mind down from a roar, I then move into a silent mantra, repeating on my inhales and exhales, slowly gathering thoughts and putting them away for later. Not getting frustrated with the thought, just gently pushing them aside for later. I started out at twice a day for 10 minutes, and now I'm up to 20minutes twice a day. I'm more relaxed, calm and thoughtful. I believe this practice has help me slow my reaction time down tremendously, giving me the ability to think first, act second...which is really awesome considering I've always over-reacted! Take a seat, give your mind a break and just BREATHE. It's the best thing you can do for yourself- mind, body and soul.

1 comment:

Lisa said...

I have the need to breathe too. Maybe I should try this. I am always on the go. Thanks for the inspiration.